OVEN BAKED BANANA PUDDING

November 05, 2019

This is a different dessert that uses a significant amount of ripe bananas, which combines so well with these fall days.

banana pudding served on a glass plate

I always get excited when I have ripe bananas in my kitchen because it means I can make some banana dessert. Usually, it means preparing a batch of muffins or banana bread, but this time and because I had so many frozen bananas, I decided to bake this oven pudding for the first time.

There are some recipes similar to this one, many of them of Brazilian origin but using condensed milk as a sweetener, which is not the case of this pudding that is less sugary, because there's already some sweetness present in the ripe bananas.

Ingredients for this banana pudding

This banana pudding does not require many ingredients to make it - only bananas, eggs, sugar, butter, and as an option, Madeira Wine (or Port Wine).

Unlike many banana desserts, this pudding doesn't need one, two or three, but 6 bananas! It sounds like a lot but it is this fruit along with the eggs that will give
consistency to the pudding as it doesn't include any kind of flour in the recipe.

The ideal type of banana to use here is when it's ripe, although it can also be made with yellowish bananas. As I had very ripe frozen bananas, these were the ones I chose to use.

This banana pudding recipe was inspired by one I read in a magazine in which white wine was used; as it was not something that pleased me, I changed the alcoholic drink for another - Madeira Wine, since banana is always associated with Madeira island and I thought that for a pudding it was better to use a generous wine (click on the flag to read in english).

Unlike many desserts and cakes with bananas, and although we are using a lot of bananas, the taste is not very intense, also due to the addition of Madeira Wine (so I say its use is optional).


How to make

Like almost all oven-made puddings, the preparation of this banana pudding is not hard.

Just beat the butter with sugar, to which are added the eggs, the Madeira wine and finally the mashed banana.

As I mentioned earlier, I used bananas that I had frozen with the skin on; sometimes bananas that are frozen like this, when thawed, release some extra moisture. In this case, I thought it best to discard this liquid because it could influence the final consistency of the pudding.

The mixture is then poured into a pudding or similar baking pan, and the pan is placed in a tray (with some depth) and inserted into the oven, filling the tray with very hot water (it is safer to insert the water into the water bath (bain-marie) after setting the tray in the oven in order to prevent accidents).

Once cooked, allow the pudding to cool in the pan at room temperature, and then refrigerate it for a few hours (I usually leave it overnight).

For me, proper pudding has to be served with caramel sauce, so I served it with some of this store-bought caramel.


slice of banana pudding topped with caramel sauce

Oven baked banana pudding Recipe

6 medium bananas (mashed)
3 large eggs
125 gr of sugar
2 tablespoons Madeira or Port wine (optional)
20 gr of butter
Caramel sauce (homemade or store-bought)


  1. Beat the butter with the sugar until you get a soft cream.
  2. Add one by one the eggs, mixing well.
  3. Add the Madeira Wine.
  4. Finally, wrap the banana puree well until a homogeneous preparation.
  5. Pour the preparation into a pudding pan (mine had 18 cm in diameter).
  6. Bake it in a water bath at 190ºC for about 1 hour.
  7. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
  8. Refrigerate for a few hours until unmolding.
  9. When serving, pour some caramel sauce over the pudding slices.
 Adapted from "Pudim de banana" published in TeleCulinária magazine






Thanks for visiting!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to receive each post directly in your email.


Follow the blog

FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments